Students will work on collaborative projects that will be on temporary exhibition in the park. Close contact with working artists and art students in these two countries as well as a visit to the National Art Academy in Tallinn Estonia will provide a wide range of exposure to contemporary issues in visual art in Europe. Visits to major art museums, cultural sites will be arranged in each country. For those students who choose to extend their stay in Europe, Helsinki is the ideal city from which to visit St. Petersburg Russia and the Hermitage Museums and other world-class collections and historic sites

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Greetings from New York,
I suppose that I am spoiled by travel in Europe where all airports have publicly available computers that provide access to the net for a modest fee. many also provide free wifi so folks can keep in touch with friends and colleagues. Not so in the Big Apple. It took me quite a while to even get access to a server that charged me $5.00 for an hour of use! Most folks in the US have no idea how much they are being ripped off by the internet "providers". Free enterprise is a good excuse for charging the max for providing the mim. I realize that this is a none issue for users of the newer and more expensive cel-phones that do "everything" but that isn't free either and similar service in Europe costs a fraction of what the American public is paying. Travel broadens one's horizons while narrowing one's funds! I have been trying to get word to the group about where we will meet in Helsinki. I am hoping that some of the students have cel-phone on them and that they will check e-mail with them and can then spread the word about meeting up at the main train station in Helsinki at 5 Pm tomorrow. This is certainly one useful way to spend a long layover! In spite of all my complaints, I do appreciate the amazing capabilities that we have for communications now. It is a far cry from a few years ago when I started these adventures into Eastern Europe. I am certain that you will learn more about our ability to keep in touch as various members of the group converge on Finland. When next you hear from me I will be in Finland. Best to all.
Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment